Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer

International Health Certificates 

USDA certified veterinarian on staff.

Are you planning to travel with your pet soon? Before setting off on your trip, you must follow the necessary pet travel rules for domestic and international travel. 

Pet health certificates are required for pets traveling both domestically within the United States and internationally. We’re happy to assist you with your pet’s health certificate, but it’s important to start early since the associated paperwork can take several weeks to process. 

  1. A non-refundable 50% deposit is required at the time of scheduling to compensate for work performed in advance of the appointment.
  2. Patients must have a current veterinarian-client-patient relationship and be up to date on vaccinations having been administered by a veterinarian specifically at Trusty Vet.
  3. Upon scheduling an appointment, a checklist for International Health Certificates will be sent to your email address and must be returned digitally no later than 3 business days prior to your scheduled appointment.

Different countries and states have different travel criteria, so you first need to determine exactly what you'll need and what requirements must be met to travel with your pet.

If you are internationally traveling with a dog, be aware that effective August 1, 2024, the CDC will enact new requirements for all dogs entering or returning to the United States from any country, including Mexico and Canada. The current and new rules can be found on the CDC website.

When do I need to make travel plans for my pet? 

Start planning at least two months in advance for domestic travel and four months in advance for international travel. If rabies titers are required to determine your pet’s current immunity against the rabies virus, i.e. Hawaii, Australia, etc, it is likely that you may need more time for planning and testing. Please check the requirements for your travel destination at and call us at (256) 489-8387 to book a pet health certificate appointment.

What do I need to do to make travel plans for my pet?

If you’re traveling by car, you should carry your pet’s vaccine history, their most current rabies certificate, and a veterinarian-issued pet health certificate that includes information about their most recent wellness exam.
If you’re planning to fly, research the specific airline you plan to use. Some airlines have their requirements while others defer to those issued by the destination state or country.

Important questions to ask your airline might include:

  • What are your pet travel policies?
  • Do you offer fleet cargo space for large pets? Will this affect which flights I can book?
  • Are small pets allowed in the cabin area?
  • Do you have specific pet carrier requirements?
  • What are your pick-up and drop-off policies for pets?
  • How do you handle layovers when there are pets on board? 

Bear in mind that only USDA-certified veterinarians can issue international health certificates.

When you schedule your appointment, please let us know where and when you’re planning to travel, so we can properly address your needs. 

Interested in additional information? Check out this USDA resource.

Call us at (256) 489-8387 or request an appointment online for your pet's health certificate

USDA Certified Veterinarian

Trusty Vet